Background of Organization:
All Mizoram Farmers Union (AMFU) was established in the year 1994 by a group of farmers to take initiative for farmers’ welfare. It has been registered under the Society Act of 1886 vide Registration number SR.199/94/MZ-RFS dated 11th November 1994 and registered under Foreign Contribution Regulation Act, Govt. of India, Home Ministry vide Registration No.304330016.
Historical Prospective of AMFU:
All Mizoram Farmers Union (AMFU) was born out of sheer necessity in the year 1994 for improving traditional method of cultivation on the hill slopes popularly known as Jhum shifting cultivation by using sustainable permanent farming system. The Organization aims to achieve economics stability of the grassroots farmers, at present the organization represents over 70% of the State Population. AMFU is also having its organizational Strength in the entire District of Mizoram.
The Organization is putting an effort to bring Economic self sufficiency to each house hold in the state, and to introduce sustainable farming system in Mizoram. The following will be carried out by the organization:
- To replace shifting Jhum cultivation by settled cultivation.
- To increase productivity in less productive area.
- To protect and preserve forest.
- To conserve soil and water.
- To preserve and promote ecological balance.
- To generate sustainable employment through Argo/Forest based industries.
- To give relief to the poor by improving them with full or part time employment.
- To enabling groups of women to take up employment – cum income generation programme of their own.
- To provide support services for further improving training and employment condition of women.
- To provide land ownership to grass root farmers.
- To promote Medicinal and herbal plants
Approach and Methodology:
AMFU is striving to carry out by adopting rural technology, and empowering the grassroots people and give training and awareness to village farmers. AMFU will take up the following activities to supplement and support introduction of plants:
- Development of certified planting material
- Selection of trade for the farmers with availability of their potential and area wise such as Plants identified.
- Different training will be given.